RBUA main site
RBUA.ORG Forum Index

RBUA.ORG
Residential Broadband Users' Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how private is sympatico HS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkred
Newcomer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject: how private is sympatico HS? Reply with quote

I am actually a rogers hs customer but I have a question about sympatico... If I was a sympatico subscriber and visit a website and the site has banner advertsing on it from one of the major agencies (doubleclick,...)that employ tracking gifs , can the advertiser tell specifically what IP I am coming from down to my machine? Or do they just know that am coming from a sympatico server in Canada.

i know that when I hit a site via a rogers hs connection they don't seem to be able to get information down to my IP - or rateher all they get is one of the main rogers ips on bloor st... is this the same with sympatico.
slomo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would be able to tell down to the IP address that Sympatico assigns to you. Worse still, with Sympatico there seems to be no way that you can use a third party proxy server software (one that spoofs your real IP address). I tried a Steganos product and another one (Hide IP, I think) and both do not work. Steganos website advised me to change ISP.
darkred
Newcomer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that sucks
mtayeb
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well that sucks

What difference does it make whether or not they can see your IP? It changes every time you connect anyway.
slomo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a router that is always connected and automatically logs in to the PPPoE account, when the address renews most of the time you got the same address that was previously assigned. This almost makes it a permanent IP address for you.
Antonin
Fast Newbie
Fast Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a product like ZoneAlarm prevent a lot of these cookies from getting updated?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RBUA.ORG Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: