RBUA main site
RBUA.ORG Forum Index

RBUA.ORG
Residential Broadband Users' Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shawnews

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcpbit
Newcomer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Shawnews Reply with quote

Anyone else notice the severe drop in retention and slight drop in speeds on shaws usenet servers. I've heard of changes going on with shaw's (and roger's) deal with easynews (i think).

In the month of febuary i have noticed that shaw isnt picking up any new groups (any that i have tried) and the retention sometime is less then 24 hours. I found this hard to believe at first but many times a binary posted less then 25 hours ago is already purged from the server. Also the ratio of complete files to incomplete files is changing for the worse.

I used to see around 56 hour rentention around the same time last year and now stuff is purged within hours of it being posted.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also i have thought about complaining to shaw, but i know that will not achieve anything, other then maybe an email concerning bandwidth abuse being sent my way (then i can remind them im on SoHo.

Cheers,
New Poster.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2023 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone else notice the severe drop in retention and slight drop in speeds on shaws usenet servers. I've heard of changes going on with shaw's (and roger's) deal with easynews (i think).

In the month of febuary i have noticed that shaw isnt picking up any new groups (any that i have tried) and the retention sometime is less then 24 hours. I found this hard to believe at first but many times a binary posted less then 25 hours ago is already purged from the server. Also the ratio of complete files to incomplete files is changing for the worse.

I used to see around 56 hour rentention around the same time last year and now stuff is purged within hours of it being posted.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also i have thought about complaining to shaw, but i know that will not achieve anything, other then maybe an email concerning bandwidth abuse being sent my way (then i can remind them im on SoHo.

Cheers,
New Poster.

Rogers uses Giganews... we get limited by speed, but not retention. (one of the groups I frequent has 6.5million posts in it right now Smile)
pcpbit
Newcomer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2023 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that shaw (or rogers) used easynews but i have noticed files used to stay on the server for 1-3 days now only last 24 hours.

Also is there anyway to get shaw (easynews) to add new groups without being an easynews member.
pcpbit
Newcomer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2023 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i was just getting bad rentention for a bit, its around 36 hours right now in the larger newsgroups.

Also my speed hasnt dropped that much its averaging around 140 KB\s or 1.1Mb\s up to around 230kb\s. This is with Shaw SoHO. No X-TREME is available here. If it was i wouldn't bother anyway.
lorac
Fast Newbie
Fast Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: newsgroups Reply with quote

The amount of incomplete posts has increased quite a bit these past few months on $haw. If it's older than a day, your chances are 50/50 of it still being on the server. The speed is still good though.

Personally, i'd get a premium account through giganews. 50 day retention, with good speed.

Why wouldn't you go with extreme-i if you already have the SOHO package? You get the same amount of traffic allowed, and higer speeds.
pcpbit
Newcomer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2023 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well number one is that it is not yet available in my area (Fort Mcmurray/aB). Secondly is the fact that i have heard of many problems with the speed and reliability of the service. I have a 50 gig limit on SoHo plus another connection on a seperate account upstairs so my brother doesn't use my my bandwidth.

I was checking out the packages on shaw's site earlier today and i notice that SoHo has a 50 gig total limit now. Thats including upload/download. I thought when i checked this a couple months ago it was something like 50 down 5 up. I guess i was wrong or they changed it again.

Yes the the usenets have gotten worse as far as retention goes on shaw. I have noticed the speeds drop by about 50 k.

I think i will sign up with easynews, but what detracts it for me is the fact that it costs around 1/2 as much as my internet connection and relatively isn't worth that. I do see how it comes in handy if you want to make full use of Usenet but i already hit my bw limit regularly and this would surely push me over the top.
lorac
Fast Newbie
Fast Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: cap limits Reply with quote

Actually, not all your NG traffic gets counted.

I'd monitor what you d\l, and what Shaw actually shows that you use.

The extreme package is better than thier other packages, simply because most of the time you are getting better speed. It does tend to suck at times, but the difference in speed is vast. Consider that on a regular Shaw high speed the max is about 360kb/s, and on extreme it's around 600kb/s. If you just use Shaw's news servers that makes a big difference. I don't notice it too much in other areas, apart from uploading where there's a difference of about 50kb/s. A lot depends on the area you live in as well. Shaw has a tendancy to let things break first then fix them, rather than a proactive approach.
Krusty
Newcomer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Shawnews retention has been reaching new lows ... Reply with quote

Confused

Since October, I have heard over a dozen users complaining about shawnews retention rates ... as low as a few hours now ... multi-message posts almost never get up to 24 retention now. I have seen it with my own eyes on my system. Shaw seems to either say it is "just you" that has the problem ... or blows them off with a tough luck type of deal.

I wish something concrete can be done against Shaw to get them to fix this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RBUA.ORG Forum Index -> Shaw Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: