RBUA main site
RBUA.ORG Forum Index

RBUA.ORG
Residential Broadband Users' Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3Web Newsgroups...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RBUA.ORG Forum Index -> Rogers Hi-Speed Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: 3Web Newsgroups... Reply with quote

Could someone please tell me how good 3Web's newsgroups are? What kind of limatations are there if any? What is the speed and number of connections that you can have?

Thanks
Tanzai
Newcomer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3web doesn't offer newsgroups as far as I know.. *shrugs*

I've already ordered it, but I have to wait for my Rogers account to expire near the end of the month for Rogers to release the mac address on my router so that I can get the service transfered to 3web. So I can't even comment on how 'fast' they really are or any other aspect of their service.

But considering the price difference, I'd get a 3rd party usenet feed, personally I'm using Astraweb and am extremely pleased. I got the unlimited broadband for around $18.50Cdn/month in total and the speeds are consistantly great, retention on binaries seems to be reliable for around 2 weeks before it gets iffy.

So when all is said and done, I'll end up paying very slightly less than I did with Rogers, but there will be no caps on anything. I do expect there to be some gripes with the new ISP though, probably in the outages dept. they all have their pros and cons, Rogers has gotten their service to be very stable, but with all the changes they've made in the past without notification, reducing services while raising costs, negative billing and a host of other things, it just doesn't seem worth it to stick with them anymore.

I'll also be getting a couple of nice Mike phones soon and be getting rid of the ones we have with them. Now the digital cable will be the last thing to go.....
mtayeb
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2024 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanzai wrote:
....but I have to wait for my Rogers account to expire near the end of the month for Rogers to release the mac address on my router so that I can get the service transfered to 3web.

You could just change the MAC on your router if you want to do it sooner. Most routers allow you to do this in their configuration.
webcitizen
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out $37/month DSL from look.ca; it comes with Giganews with long retention time. My brother is using 3web with Astraweb, and is considering to switching to look.ca for the Giganews. Astraweb is not bad, but its retention time is short.

NOTE: This message was added on Feb 3, 2006. Look discontinued its newsgroup service. I am better off joining other cheaper DSL provider without newsgroup, then purchase newsgroup account elsewhere.

Last edited by webcitizen on Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
mtayeb
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webcitizen wrote:
Check out $37/month DSL from look.ca; it comes with Giganews with long retention time. My brother is using 3web with Astraweb, and is considering to switching to look.ca for the Giganews. Astraweb is not bad, but its retention time is short.

He better check to see what speed Look's access to Giganews is. He might be disappointed.
Jason
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject: 3web & look Reply with quote

I thought both 3web and Look used Giganews, has something changed??
webcitizen
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3web's newsgroup provider is NOT giganews. I just re-confirmed it with 2 current 3web users who are happy with 3web, and have no intention to use newsgroup service.

Rogers was providing giganews last year.

I just re-confirmed with 2 other Look.ca users that DSL/Look.ca is providing giganews service. It can be checked by "ping news.look.ca".
Jason
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I was confused it was Execulink and Look that use giganews.
Rondinelle
Newcomer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Newsfeeds.com & 3Web Reply with quote

I just hooked up with 3web after Rogers dropped their usenet service.

I haven't even been able to log into 3web's news servers (news.3web.com they say, but no go for me). Regardless, I had always intended of taking the money saved (29.95/mo. for 3web's service) and buying a newsgroup from another service provider. I settled on newsfeeds.com... $4.95US/mo. for 2 GB, but add another $4.95, $7.95 or $10.95/mo. to get 1, 2 or 3 unlimited download days (not counting against your basic 2 GB).

The download speeds are phenomenal (500K/sec... like Rogers was for that brief moment in time before the switch to giganews) with Giganews-like retention. I took the 2-day unlimited option, but I might even drop down to 1 unlimited day as I line up my NZB files and tell Newsbin Pro (through Windows scheduling) to start-up at midnight on my unlimited days and just start downloading away.
ElmerjFudd
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanzai wrote:
3web doesn't offer newsgroups as far as I know.. *shrugs*

I've already ordered it, but I have to wait for my Rogers account to expire near the end of the month for Rogers to release the mac address on my router so that I can get the service transfered to 3web. So I can't even comment on how 'fast' they really are or any other aspect of their service.

But considering the price difference, I'd get a 3rd party usenet feed, personally I'm using Astraweb and am extremely pleased. I got the unlimited broadband for around $18.50Cdn/month in total and the speeds are consistantly great, retention on binaries seems to be reliable for around 2 weeks before it gets iffy.

So when all is said and done, I'll end up paying very slightly less than I did with Rogers, but there will be no caps on anything. I do expect there to be some gripes with the new ISP though, probably in the outages dept. they all have their pros and cons, Rogers has gotten their service to be very stable, but with all the changes they've made in the past without notification, reducing services while raising costs, negative billing and a host of other things, it just doesn't seem worth it to stick with them anymore.

I'll also be getting a couple of nice Mike phones soon and be getting rid of the ones we have with them. Now the digital cable will be the last thing to go.....

Look at Newshosting. $14.95US (under $18CDN at last billing)40+ days retention on Binaries..

Personally I found Astraweb to have one of the worse customer service, even worse then Rogers and thats low.
ElmerjFudd
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

webcitizen wrote:

Look has dumped GN also. No longer providing News service
ROGuERS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This is not true.
I don't know where you are getting your information from.
Look still has GN binary newsgroup service.
I am a subscriber to the Look service and am downloading from it now.
Maximum 5 threads totalling 80KBs.
007craft
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay $3 a month for usenet access. Heres how

Goto sites like www.nzbzone.com and www.binsearch.info (theres many more sites). Now find all the NZB files you want of everything you want to download from songs, to movies, to games, etc etc. Continue to download every NZB of every file you want for 1 month or untill you have built up several GB of stuff to download (I usualy wait untill I have 100 GB of stuff I want)

Now goto www.usenetserver.com and sign-up for the $3 for 3 day trial.

in these 3 days, simply download all the files you have collected over the month. Providing your ISP gives you 500k/sec download or more (thats 4.0mbps download or more), you should be able to net 129GB or more in 3 days of downloading.

Simply do this 3 trial thing again (signup with a different user account each time), everytime you have another 100 or so GB of files to download.

Im with rogers but the cap is not enforced in my area so Im able to do this.

Ive used this technique for the longest time and it works wonders. If you want constant usenet access (maybe you download over a terabyte a month or something?), usenetserver.com is still the best at only 18 CDN a month or even less if you buy the 3 month package.
dsstest
Newcomer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant, i have to try this

007craft wrote:
I pay $3 a month for usenet access. Heres how

Goto sites like www.nzbzone.com and www.binsearch.info (theres many more sites). Now find all the NZB files you want of everything you want to download from songs, to movies, to games, etc etc. Continue to download every NZB of every file you want for 1 month or untill you have built up several GB of stuff to download (I usualy wait untill I have 100 GB of stuff I want)

Now goto www.usenetserver.com and sign-up for the $3 for 3 day trial.

in these 3 days, simply download all the files you have collected over the month. Providing your ISP gives you 500k/sec download or more (thats 4.0mbps download or more), you should be able to net 129GB or more in 3 days of downloading.

Simply do this 3 trial thing again (signup with a different user account each time), everytime you have another 100 or so GB of files to download.

Im with rogers but the cap is not enforced in my area so Im able to do this.

Ive used this technique for the longest time and it works wonders. If you want constant usenet access (maybe you download over a terabyte a month or something?), usenetserver.com is still the best at only 18 CDN a month or even less if you buy the 3 month package.
ROGuERS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElmerjFudd wrote:
webcitizen wrote:

I stand corrected as of today the newsgroup servers DNS no longer resolves and they are not offering newsgroup access any longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RBUA.ORG Forum Index -> Rogers Hi-Speed Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: