RBUA main site
RBUA.ORG Forum Index

RBUA.ORG
Residential Broadband Users' Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public FTP Server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RBUA.ORG Forum Index -> Rogers Hi-Speed Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arhatt
Newcomer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Public FTP Server Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

First of all, Sorry for my English.

This is my problem:
I need to send to my frend about 10GB of home video. I tried to run FTP Server on my computer, but it didn't work out. As I understand Rogers does not allowe run any servers thrue on their network. I think they are blocking outcoming packets with SYS and ACK flags. So, playing with different ports did not help as I expected.

DOES ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO RUN FTP SERVER ON ROGERS NETWORK???
I'd very appreciate any advise!

Thank You.
mtayeb
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogers does nothing to block FTP. You probably have a configuration problem somewhere. If both the FTP server and the client are behind routers, that frequently causes problems. You need to:

1. Have an FTP server sophisticated enough to allow you to specify your WAN IP (your Rogers IP) in it's setup so that it can work behind a NAT router.

2. Open ports 20 and 21 on your router.

3. Specify and passive mode port range in the ftp software (e.g. 50000-50100).

4. Open the same port range in your router.

It should work after you do all that.
arhatt
Newcomer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtayeb wrote:
Rogers does nothing to block FTP. You probably have a configuration problem somewhere. If both the FTP server and the client are behind routers, that frequently causes problems. You need to:

1. Have an FTP server sophisticated enough to allow you to specify your WAN IP (your Rogers IP) in it's setup so that it can work behind a NAT router.

Thank You, but not me nor other computer are behind router.
And no firewall software is running on both.
When I'm trying connect to my FTP Server using FTP client - it goes OK. BUT, when somebody is trying connect to it (or I connect FTP-client thrue proxy server) that does not work.

Firstly, I thought that Rogers is just blocking some ports. I changed ports - same. I change FTP client to passive mode - nothing. Then I scan all of them from external website. Ges what? All ports were blocked (connection time out). Nice, isn't it?

Then I find out in Rogers agreement, that Rogers prohibits running servers on their network. And after that I write this topic...
rvs007
Fast Newbie
Fast Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a private ftp site on my home computer from time to time because I want to transfer large files between home and work. The last time I used it was a week ago, and I connected to it without any problems.

For the port, I am using 2121, passive ON.
Super-User
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also run a ftp server from time to time with no problems. Just tested it now and it is working without issue.

You mentioned no router or firewall. Did you also double check the windows xp firewall. Lots of people forget about that one. This is assuming you are running xp of course.

SU

arhatt wrote:
mtayeb wrote:

Thank You, but not me nor other computer are behind router.
And no firewall software is running on both.
When I'm trying connect to my FTP Server using FTP client - it goes OK. BUT, when somebody is trying connect to it (or I connect FTP-client thrue proxy server) that does not work.

Firstly, I thought that Rogers is just blocking some ports. I changed ports - same. I change FTP client to passive mode - nothing. Then I scan all of them from external website. Ges what? All ports were blocked (connection time out). Nice, isn't it?

Then I find out in Rogers agreement, that Rogers prohibits running servers on their network. And after that I write this topic...
arhatt
Newcomer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm running Windows XP and I did not forget about XP firewall - it's turned off.
So, this situation looks pretty interesting. And I'm kind of confused about all this stuff. I will double (actually triple) check everything and let you know.

Meanwhile, if somebody has any idea what is wrong with my computer (I assume that problem in the computer), could You please tell me!?

Big thanks to everyone!
se7en
Cool Newbie
Cool Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not suggest you connect to the Internet without any form of firewall (whether it be software or hardware) in place. You're just asking for trouble - especially if you will be serving applications of your machine.

Now back to your question - what program are you using to serve up FTP? Next, have you tried going to a command prompt and typing netstat -na to see if port 20 and 21 are listening?

(By the way, I would also suggest you change these ports to some other non-standard high (> 1024) port).

If you can confirm those ports are listening, then ensure you set the FTP server up for PASV mode, and ensure the client trying to connect is using the same.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:17 pm    Post subject: Another possibility Reply with quote

... the new headends, if not the new traffic shapers, may be set for blocking of incoming traffic on specific ports across entire IP blocks.

It wouldnt be unheard of - Rogers has blocked the Windows Networking ports for years now due to security concerns. Blocking incoming 21/25/80/whathaveyou to each subscriber really wouldnt be much of a step up from that.

Those people who run their servers (tsk tsk ) on other ports wouldnt notice this, but for general users/abuse, it would be curtailed quite effectively.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RBUA.ORG Forum Index -> Rogers Hi-Speed Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: